[WikiEN-l] The dangers of not citing Wikipedia

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Mon Aug 11 20:41:10 UTC 2008

Interesting.

As to the point about secondary citation, it is standard practice in  classes
that teach about research and writing to cover how to do secondary  citation.
 For example look at
_http://writing2.richmond.edu/writing/wweb/apadocu.html_
(http://writing2.richmond.edu/writing/wweb/apadocu.html)

The way we should approach citing a reference *through* someone else's
citation is
"so and so as cited in such and such"

It's really a matter of courtesy that we cite *in some way* the actual
source which we actually consulted.  Of course that isn't the issue  here.  It
would appear, reading-between-the-lines, that exact quotes or  paraphrases were
lifted from the Wikipedia article without either en-quoting, or  acknowledging
the source whatsoever.  Or perhaps merely acknowledging it by  way of a simple
bibliography, which really isn't sufficient if you are  quoting.

Will Johnson

Read reviews on AOL Autos.