[WikiEN-l] An example of a bad biography

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Tue Apr 29 17:40:59 UTC 2008

Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> and in this and many many other cases, there really isn't an argument
> the the subject screwed up and somehow deserves the embarrassment of
> having the truth told.

Yes!

>  ... and most importantly, we should consider it unacceptable because
> this sort of harm is a direct result of Wikipedia policies and
> procedures, and is most likely completely avoidable without
> compromising on neutrality.

I am not sure about "completely avoidable"... though we should try.

The only reason I mention this is that there is another form of invalid
"paralysis" thinking which says "We can never solve this problem
completely, therefore it is a waste of time to try to improve the
situation at all."

This sort of harm is a direct result of Wikipedia policies and
procedures, and is most likely *significantly* avoidable without
significantly compromising on neutrality, quality, openness, and our
other values.