[WikiEN-l] Searchability of non-mainspace pages

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Tue Apr 29 15:23:26 UTC 2008

Risker wrote:
> 2008/4/28 Judson Dunn <cohesion at sleepyhead.org>:
>

>> On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 8:41 PM, Risker <risker.wp at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Why is it overkill?  What is there on non-encyclopedia pages that should
>>>
>> be
>>
>>>  searchable?
>>>
>>>  Risker
>>>
>> Policy pages, guidelines, essays.
>>
>> Judson
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Cohesion
>>

> Well, here's the problem. When I google-search "Verifiability", the first
> hit is the Wikipedia policy - it isn't even our article on formal
> verification (redirected from "Verifiability), or any other link on
> Wikipedia or elsewhere that describes what verifiability is in the real
> world.

That is precisely the intended result, so Google is functioning properly
here---Wikipedia's page on "verifiability" is one of the most prominent
uses of the term online. It's been quoted in multiple news articles, has
been remarked upon by university professors concerned or interested in
the use of Wikipedia, etc. The use of "verifiability" to refer to
something capable of undergoing formal verification, by comparison, is
comparatively uncommon (even in computer science, which field I'm in).

In any case, the discussion here was about *harm to specific
individuals*, not about micromanaging Google's search results. Surely we
aren't harming specific individuals by letting people search for
verifiability find our policy on such?

-Mark