[WikiEN-l] A linguistics template should not be this obtrusive

magiske prosesser magipro at organizer.net
Mon Apr 28 07:35:57 UTC 2008

I came across Template:Chinese at the Nanking Massacre
article. At first I thought this was a regular infobox,
but I soon realized that this was in fact something very
different.

It appears to me that something has gone totally awry in
the development of this template. On the template talk
page I suggest that it is a "'labour of love' that has
gone somewhat amok". I'm used to working also on the
Wiktionary project, and I find that the almost complete
absence of graphics there is very soothing and beneficial
for that type of work. The people working on
Template:Chinese obviously are of a completely different
mindset.

I attempted to raise the point on the template talk page
that the appearance of the template needed to be radically
revamped, scaled down or downsized. I was met with a
complete lack of understanding of what I was attempting to
convey. In fact, I realized that these people obviously
have developed a completely eccentric and proprietary set
of ideas concerning the relation of their pet project
infobox to other infobox templates. So I nominated it for
deletion, not really wanting it to go, obviously, but to
attempt to give these people a wake-up call. I was rather
unsuccessful at this, the TfD ended in speedy keep and
nobody appear to have understood in the least what I'm on
about. One editor explained that he had tried to make
changes in the color scheme of the template...

So, I respectfully subject this issue to this forum
requesting comments on whether we all (except for me)
think it's fine to have a linguistics infobox that wants
to make itself the centrepiece of any and all page on
which it is applied.

Halvor / User:meco

--
all communication to and from this person will be subject
to public availability