[WikiEN-l] Searchability of non-mainspace pages

User Horologium user.horologium at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 03:33:12 UTC 2008

One of the issues that has not been addressed here is some of the stuff that
is being stored in userspace.

Disregarding the minimal (but not nonexistent) quantity of material being
kept in user subpages which violates BLP, there is an astonishing number of
fringe topics that are userfied upon AFD and sit, indefinitely, in
userspace, where they are visible to search engines. A non-wikipedia user is
not going to understand that, for example,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Xiutwel/7/7_Truth_Movement is not an
article (it was deleted as conspiracy cruft
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/7/7_Truth_Movement),
and an OR trainwreck like that is not enhancing Wikipedia's image. That user
(who was recently topic-banned from all of the 9/11 articles) has about 20
deleted articles that have been userfied, some dating back to 2006, most of
which have never been edited *at all* after userfication. I'm confident that
there are other users who are doing the same thing; we found a user who was
saving multiple versions of the save kiddie-porn pushing piece that had been
deleted and endorsed; he was later indef-blocked, but it's likely that
there's more of the same out there. There is nothing in userspace that needs
to show up in Google search results; if nothing else, that section should be
cordoned off to eliminate userfied and non-encyclopedic junk from polluting
search engine hits.