[WikiEN-l] Searchability of non-mainspace pages

Newyorkbrad (Wikipedia) newyorkbrad at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 01:06:51 UTC 2008

My attention has repeatedly been drawn to serious negative effects created
by the ability of Google and other searches to search and display pages
outside the mainspace, including pages such as XfD's, DRV's, AN/I
discussions, and the like.  Some of these discussions have taken place
on-wiki and others, I am advised, on discussion of OTRS tickets posted by
affected persons.

Given the visibility of Wikipedia results on Google and other searches, and
consistent with the overall intent of [[WP:BLP]] on En-Wiki (and what I hope
is its equivalent on other projects), we have a serious responsibility to
ensure that the overall effect of Wikipedia content is a responsible one.
This includes eliminating the likelihood that the first hit on the Google
search for a living person is not (for example) a deletion discussion on how
insignificant and non-notable that individual is, or a page discussing the
ban of that individual (who might be a minor, for example) who chose to edit
Wikipedia under his or her real name and made some mistakes in doing so and
was criticized or even banned as a result.

There has been discussion from time to time about implementing a technical
modification such that only mainspace pages (or such other pages as the
community might consciously choose) would be visible to searches.  In view
of the number of concerns raised about the current situation where
everything is searchable, it seems to me that the necessary changes should
be developed and implemented quickly.

The main argument in opposition to this change that I have seen is that the
internal Wikipedia search capability is not as strong as the external search
engines, so that it is desirable that the ability to conduct a complete
external search be maintained.  I know that I have sometimes found it useful
to be able to search all spaces within the site in, for example, looking for
precedent cases while drafting EnWiki arbitration decisions.  It therefore
would probably be desirable to upgrade our internal search capability.
However, in view of the number of third parties affected by the current
practice, I do not believe that implementation of the non-search capability
should await this development.

As a matter of disclosure, although I have raised this concern in passing on
prior occasions, my attention has been focused (this is something of an
understatement) on it again by an ongoing and extremely unpleasant thread
concerning me on the Wikipedia Review site.  I understand that my concerns
in this matter might be discounted for that reason.  Nonetheless, they are
sincere, of long standing, and I urge that they receive priority attention.

Newyorkbrad