[WikiEN-l] The Israeli cabal tries a hostile takeover

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 15:36:15 UTC 2008

The whole rush to ban anyone associated with this group is disturbing, and
not receiving much in the way of review. Christiano has so far blocked two
editors and topic banned another one for a year, based on what in my mind is
a non-review of their actual edits. This reminds me of the Harvard class
involved in editing the Waterboarding article - some of the same people, in
fact. We don't ban people for having a point of view. Having a point of view
isn't a violation of WP:NOT#BATTLEGROUND. We don't ban people for knowing
eachother off wiki, or sharing a point of view that they discuss off-wiki.
We don't ban people for being associated with strange people like Zeq, who
claimed to marshal an "army" to go to "war" on Wikipedia in the e-mail that
is attributed to him. Or we shouldn't, anyway, since now apparently we do
ban people for these reasons. What makes this more problematic is that the
folks being banned are ostensibly pro-Israel POV warriors - and the
"evidence" against them consists of e-mails represented on
electronicintifada.com, a very strongly anti-Israel and pro-Palestinian
activist organization. I put quotes around evidence because there barely is
any evidence on that page except the efforts of junior amateur sleuths
trying to connect editors to e-mail addresses.

Nathan