[WikiEN-l] [WikiEn-l] Another BLP deletion... Why?

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 04:18:34 UTC 2008

Controversial BLPs   are often closed as no consensus merely because
there are good experienced WP editors with strong views on both
sides--the result of this will be to say that ''any article to which
there is any strong opposition will be deleted if it is a BLP''.
However,  some of these good and experienced people at WP do not seem
to understand NPOV, and think that all controversial BLPs which have a
negative implication towards the subject, however fair, should be
deleted. The small cohesive group of editors who do not represent the
consensus, but are strong enough to represent a minority, will
prevail. In short, this is a backdoor approach to removing negative
BLPs from WP, and becoming as far as living people are concerned,
Wikipedia, the encyclopedia of articles that praise the subjects.

We have a continual fight against self-promotion, and this will
effectively undermine it. There is already a discussion where the same
principle, of not saying anything negative, however well sourced, is
being asserted with respect to a commercial organisation.

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 8:47 PM, Charlotte Webb
<charlottethewebb at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/21/08, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On 22/04/2008, Ron Ritzman <ritzman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > If they're going to do this then it needs to be in a venue besides
>  > >  AFD. Perhaps call it "BLPs for discussion". That way "normal noms"
>  > >  where the issue is notability etc. can proceed with the usual rules.
>  >
>  > That's actually a really good idea.
>
>  Fixing AFD would be better than forking it.
>
>  Regardless, it would be trivial for a bot to generate a list of
>  articles belonging to both [[Category:Living people]] and
>  [[Category:Articles for deletion]], and list them on some prominent
>  page in project-space like "Wikipedia:WikiProject Deletion
>  sorting/Living people", maybe give it a cute little shortcut such as
>  WP:BLPFD (/ˈblɪpfʌd/) that would imply a separate process when in fact
>  it isn't, and add a little note like <small>This debate has been
>  included in the list of living people-related deletion
>  discussions"</small>.
>
>  Or not?
>
>  —C.W.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.