[WikiEN-l] Is Merging Worse than Deletion?

Philip Sandifer snowspinner at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 17:58:36 UTC 2008

A few iterations of the inclusionism/deletionism debate back, we seem
to have settled on merging articles as a sort of happy medium.
Increasingly, though, it seems to me that mergism and redirectionism
is proving more destructive to our content and its growth than
deletion was.

I'll limit myself to fiction articles, since that's where I've seen
the worst effects, though I'd love to hear from people who edit in
other areas. [[List of characters in Gilmore Girls]] was the target of
a wealth of merges of characters, such that no characters in the show
have individual articles anymore. And, indeed, the old character
articles were crappy in-universe messes of the sort we want to clean up.

The problem is that it is easy for any of the major series regular
characters to have an article written about them. Gilmore Girls was a
critical darling of a show, actors regularly gave interviews, all
seasons are on DVD with a decent number of special features that
provide out-of-universe information. The information is clearly and
transparently there. The articles could have eventually been improved.

But the articles did not satisfy notability in their old forms, and so
are now gone. And, worse than gone, they're redirects - which means
that a newbie user is going to have a much harder time figuring out
how to go about fixing them. Redlinks at least cry out to be fixed.
Redirects avoid being fixed. And since the characters now exist in a
list, incremental improvement is a real challenge. The format of the
articles doesn't lend itself to expansion into new areas, as it seems
weird to have only one entry on a list have out-of-universe
information. Furthermore, the nature of a list os succinctness -
expanding an entry with a lot of information is unwanted.

Deletion at least left a visible hole in our coverage that anybody
could see and fix. Redirects, through a combination of unclear
interface ("How do I fix/make a redirect" is just about the most
common question asked by my non-wiki using friends when they try to
edit) and an institutional resistance to un-merging that is almost as
bad as abusive G4 speedies, redirectionism seems to me to destroy our
coverage of areas more severely than deletion.

The real culprit here is WP:N, which does not do nearly enough to
protect articles on topics that obviously could pass its standard of
notability, but do not yet. The anti-eventualist bias of this
requiring of multiple independent sources to be cited before an
article can avoid deletion is appalling. We need to remember that
articles grow slowly, and that a mediocre start is still a better
foundation for an article than a redirect.

-Phil