[WikiEN-l] Neutral point of view

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 17:41:56 UTC 2008

On 14/04/2008, WJhonson at aol.com <WJhonson at aol.com> wrote:

> cbeckhorn at fastmail.fm writes:
>
> > I don't  think there is much support in contempory critical theory for
> > the idea  that a writer can write without presenting a point of view, or
> > that a  reader can read without a point of view.   >>
>
>  We are however, not "writers writing".  We are "editors  editing".
>  Without this agreement, we won't have a place from which to argue.
>  If you believe you are a writer, an author, a creator of new and  interesting
>  expression, then you don't belong on Wikipedia.

We call our contributors editors, but that name also covers many other
roles - fact-checkers and coders and photographers and proofreaders
and, yes, writers.

The project absolutely requires people to act as writers; we would be
nothing without them. Before we can edit, we must have material *to*
edit. We may not wish for the expression of original opinions, but we
do need original writing.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk