[WikiEN-l] Neutral point of view

Philip Sandifer snowspinner at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 15:32:54 UTC 2008

On Apr 14, 2008, at 10:44 AM, Jimmy Wales wrote:

> A big part of the point of NPOV is that if you don't agree with
> postmodernists like Lyotard (quoted below), you can write carefully
> and
> clearly, striving for neutrality as best you can manage, and be
> satisfied that the result is useful.
>
> And if you are in agreement with Lyotard, and regard the pursuit of
> knowledge as a language game, you can still play.  "If there are no
> rules, there is no game"... and the game we are playing is NPOV.

One of these days I will get around to writing "What Wikipedia Could
Learn From Postmodernism" to make the second part of that more
explicit. Suffice it to say that I think that appealing both to the
sort of classical viewpoint in your first paragraph and to a
postmodernist Lyotard-style viewpoint is an essential goal of our
content policies. If we're doing it right then a committed classicist
(as I suspect Jimbo is) and a committed postmodernist (hi) will both
be satisfied with our policies.

-Phil