[WikiEN-l] Neutral point of view

Philip Sandifer snowspinner at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 18:54:49 UTC 2008

On Apr 13, 2008, at 12:58 PM, Jonas Rand wrote:

> Wikipedia has a big flaw: neutrality.

You're repeating a pretty standard criticism - it's also leveled
against objectivity. We teach it in high school pretty often -
pointing out that no one person has an objective viewpoint on
anything. It's really an argument about the inaccessibility of
absolute truth - no account of an even remotely controversial subject
will be recognized as true by all viewpoints on the subject.

The thing is, that's not the sort of neutrality/objectivity Wikipedia
traffics in. We don't attempt to present a single objective viewpoint,
but rather a comprehensive viewpoint that mentions all of the
significant viewpoints and explains them, clearly attributing claims
about a subject to the people making it.

This version of neutrality is quite achievable - you can see for
yourself. Load an article on a ridiculously controversial subject and
you can see - we achieve what we set out for pretty routinely.

But it's important to recognize that this is not the sort of
neutrality talked about in that standard "nothing is ever truly
objective" argument, because we change the game from talking about the
subject itself to talking about what other people say about the subject.

-Phil