[WikiEN-l] History of "Verifiability, not truth"

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Mon Apr 7 20:37:58 UTC 2008

"David Gerard" wrote

> I submit that we actually mean something much more like - to use
> actual English rather than internal jargon - "Be accurate in
> describing the points of view, but verifiably so."

I think we've actually done quite well, here. No doubt there are still the "philosophical" issues. (Not to speak of the "sandiferous" ones.) But if we render that into the notion of a "house style", it all starts to make somewhat more sense. I like the comparison with the "journal of record", dealing with politics with an arm's-length feel. There really is a Wikipedia kind of writing; and like everything else in policy, if you attempt to stay on the fairway and out of the bunkers, life is so much easier.

Charles