[WikiEN-l] History of "Verifiability, not truth"

Philip Sandifer snowspinner at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 16:13:27 UTC 2008

I've been working on figuring out the history of this bit of wording,
since it's, on the surface, transparently untrue (we, in fact, do want
to provide truth as well - not necessarily big-T absolute truth, but
certainly the little-t truth that is a synonym for "accuracy" - i.e.
the word as normal people use it).

Originally, WP: V explicitly called for accuracy: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Verifiability&oldid=1230684
. The term was removed in a language tweak in 2005. The phrase
"verifiability, not truth" came from a draft revision of WP:NOR in
December of 2004.

As far as I can tell, there has *never* been a consensus discussion of
the phrasing "verifiability, not truth," nor was there a discussion
about removing the statement that Wikipedia strives to be accurate
from WP:V. These changes were inserted, albeit years ago, without
discussion, and long-standing principles were pushed to the side and
minimized in favor of increasingly context-free restatements of the
changes. But I cannot find *any* evidence that the position "accuracy
is not a primary goal of Wikipedia" has ever garnered consensus.

Is anyone aware of a discussion to this end that I am not? Is there
actually a point where we clearly and deliberately decided that the
goal of Wikipedia is not accuracy?

-Phil