[WikiEN-l] Actual Problems with WP:V

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 20:56:11 UTC 2008

Yes, and the only solution is a frank admission that redirect is a
form of delete, and that a change to redirect if challenged requires
an AfD, and a change in deletion policy to say this.  ditto for a
destructive merge, but it would be much harder to quantify what
amounts to "destructive" in such cases.

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 2:37 PM, White Cat
<wikipedia.kawaii.neko at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 11:26 PM, <WJhonson at aol.com> wrote:
>
>  >
>  > In a message dated 4/3/2008 11:24:51 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
>  > wikipedia.kawaii.neko at gmail.com writes:
>  >
>  > I have  seen fair share of article butchering through mass
>  > redirectification.>>
>  >
>  >
>  > --------------------------
>  > Could you put this in language my third-grade intellect can  understand?
>  > Do you mean something like gutting an article with a simple redirect to
>  > another article?
>  > Wouldn't the article history contain the original article, that could be
>  > at
>  > least saved to user-space?
>  >
>  > Will
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  > **************Planning your summer road trip? Check out AOL Travel Guides.
>  >  (
>  > http://travel.aol.com/travel-guide/united-states?ncid=aoltrv00030000000016
>  > )
>  > WikiEN-l mailing list
>  > WikiEN-l at lists.wikimedia.org
>  > To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
>  >

>  Let me explain
>
>    - There exists an article "Alpha"
>    - There is a problem with article "Alpha"
>    - Article "Alpha" does not follow all guidelines and/or policies
>    - A user comes in and removes all content from Article "Alpha" and
>    redirects it to article "Beta" which has a related coverage.
>    - No content is added to article "Beta" in this process
>    - User calls this action a merge which is an editorial decision
>    independent from AFD
>    - Even pages of failed AFDs can be redirectified
>
>  This is what is happening in a nutshell. The topics this is happening range
>  from fiction related articles (episodes/characters) to highways (real world
>  related) as well as Townships among other topics.
>
>    - White Cat

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.