[WikiEN-l] Acknowledgements sections on articles

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 23:14:40 UTC 2008

> Okay, so that part is not clear, but it is there...
>
>  How long has "GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later
>
> version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant
>  Sections, with no Front-Cover Texts, and with no Back-Cover Texts."
>
> been at the bottom of the edit page? Just wondering.

Years. I don't know about since the beginning, but certainly a long time.

>  And in these cases, why hasn't wikipedia been completely compatible
>  with CC-BY-SA since its beginning? I was under the impression the only
>  sticking point were these parts.

I believe the GFDL requires derived works to be distributed under the
GFDL, not just a license that is similar to the GFDL, so isn't
compatible with any other license however similar it may be. (IANAL,
YMMV, OMGWTFBBQ)

>  The statement at the bottom of the page should indicate the invariant
>  exception btw, it is unclear that you are pointing to a document that
>  needs further clarification, even with the link to
>  Wikipedia:Copyrights, which btw implies that there might be cases
>  where Invariant Sections could be included under the non-invariant
>  GFDL version that wikipedia uses.
>
>  Linking to the verbatim text of an incomplete license isn't desirable ;)

It does indicate it - you just have to follow the footnote.