[WikiEN-l] Acknowledgements sections on articles

Peter Ansell ansell.peter at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 23:04:41 UTC 2008

On 02/04/2008, Philip Sandifer <snowspinner at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On Apr 1, 2008, at 6:36 PM, Peter Ansell wrote:
>
>  > 'All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation
>  > License' at the bottom of every page
>  >
>  > See Section 4.K on the wikipedia hosted page [1]
>  >
>  > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Text_of_the_GNU_Free_Documentation_License
>  >
>  > I was never shown the "no invariant sections" statement when I
>  > contributed my past entries, and to change the license would be to
>  > relicence everyones contributions...
>  >
>  > It is entirely logical that if someone is contributing as part of an
>  > academic grant that they should be able to acknolwedge that.
>

> Not at present an issue, as nobody added invariant sections or
>  acknowledgements previously. Thus there are no previous contributions
>  with invariant sections to be irritated about. Furthermore, the terms
>  do not forbid the creation of derivative works with invariant sections
>  - that is, we are not creating a new license called "GFDL Without
>  Invariant Sections." We are saying "By hitting the submit button you
>  are saying that the text in this window is GFDL and has no invariant
>  sections."
>
>  -Phil

Okay, so that part is not clear, but it is there...

How long has "GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later
version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant
Sections, with no Front-Cover Texts, and with no Back-Cover Texts."
been at the bottom of the edit page? Just wondering.

And in these cases, why hasn't wikipedia been completely compatible
with CC-BY-SA since its beginning? I was under the impression the only
sticking point were these parts.

The statement at the bottom of the page should indicate the invariant
exception btw, it is unclear that you are pointing to a document that
needs further clarification, even with the link to
Wikipedia:Copyrights, which btw implies that there might be cases
where Invariant Sections could be included under the non-invariant
GFDL version that wikipedia uses.

Linking to the verbatim text of an incomplete license isn't desirable ;)

Peter