[WikiEN-l] NASA meatballs and wikipedia meatheads

Ian Woollard ian.woollard at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 21:34:26 UTC 2008

> We don't but our policies require images to be free for reuses which
>  is why we don't accept wikipedia only images.

Which precise policy is incompatible with the NASA images?

>  Look I really rather doubt we have many meatball logos on wikipedia
>  finding them and editing them out of the images where posible should
>  not be a major problem.

I have my own policy about people inventing their own policies and
unilaterally applying them to the wikipedia- I revert on sight.

I found one bunch of clowns systematically removing all safety related
information relating to certain chemicals from the wikipedia. 'In case
somebody used the information and got hurt and then wikipedia could be
liable' and 'it's all in the msds' anyway'. But a fair amount of it
wasn't in the msds's and yeah, it was referenced.

Seems to me this is pretty similar; you appear to be worried that
somebody, somewhere doing something that is not routinely done on the
wikipedia could possibly break the law.

You know what? Yeah, they could. And how is this the wikipedia's
problem? We don't encourage them, on the contrary we tag our images
with the restrictions - and there are ALWAYS restrictions. And if we
find an illegal image on the wikipedia we delete it.

The NASA license is free for all the normal things that the wikipedia
and people that make use of our material use these images for. In
*that* sense, it's FREE. I don't care beyond that, provided it's
correctly tagged with the license, I really don't, and I *really*
don't think you should either.

--
-Ian Woollard

We live in an imperfectly imperfect world. If we lived in a perfectly
imperfect world things would be a lot better.