[WikiEN-l] [Wikipedia-l] Indefinite ban problem

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Sun Sep 30 18:55:08 UTC 2007

> Personally, I don't believe a true "conspiracy" has been involved here. It
> is people being people, and being allowed to act out without sufficient,
> effective, responsible checks and balances.
>
> Marc

Remember that what you are commenting on here is not a concrete situation, at all. It was a sweeping generalization, of how 1300 admins, for the most part bright and independent thinkers, were being terrorized out of doing what they would otherwise, by a dedicated small group. So effectively that _not one_ would act.

I think you might accept that unblock requests are treated rather more seriously. I deal with quite a number, but by email. The reason that is most common for a block appeal to fail is that the person banned comes across as a ranting individual, with absolutely no perspective and little appreciation of the site's overall purpose.

Charles