[WikiEN-l] Usability (was there are no pictures...)

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 04:36:31 UTC 2007

> On 25/09/2007, Armed Blowfish <diodontida.armata at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > On 25/09/2007, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com > wrote:
>
> > > Yeah. The image interface in general really sucks, I believe we have a
> > > usability report to hand that details how it sucks, so if there's any
> > > coders with a good feel for UI who are keen on making things easier
> > > then they should hop onto wikitech-l and #wikimedia-tech for a chat
> > > with the devs.
>
> > Link?
>

> On http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Usability , I
> believe it's one of the two PDFs linked at the bottom.
>
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProjekt_Usability/Test_Februar_2006
>
> is on de:wp, but is in English. I think this is the report in
> question.
>
> There's lots and lots of things wrong other than the image interface, of
> course.
>
> Wwwolf has a page here too:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Wwwwolf/MediaWiki_Usability

Ah, thanks! I didn't know about these.
There's also http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Usability which could stand some
updating.

The pdf link you mention seems to be broken though :( -- does anyone know if
the .pdf report was the same as what's posted at de:?
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProjekt_Usability/Test_Februar_2006#Upload
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Usability>Does anyone have a copy of the
pdf?

I still think it'd be worth getting another outside usability assessment*;
it looks like the German report was likely based on an old version of the
de: upload page, which is pretty different from the giant pages full o'
instructions that we have on en: now.

-- phoebe

* hopefully from someone with a clue about licenses!