[WikiEN-l] There are no pictures in Wikipedia any more

Wily D wilydoppelganger at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 01:52:13 UTC 2007

> On 28/09/2007, George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 9/27/07, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > We do not tolerate unfree text to any significant extent. We do
> > > tolerate a level of unfree media. Thus we put free media behind other
> > > content.
> >
> > This is simply not true; we have significant (important informational
> > content, useful) quotations from other works sprinkled liberally
> > throughout the Encyclopedia.
> >
> > And this is a good thing.
> >
> > And this is entirely and unquestionably (by any reasonable person)
> > legal under fair use.
>
> Close on 50% of the images on en are non free. Text on the other hand?
> A few percent maybe.

Of course, 100% of the images on en. should be nonfree - any free
image should be on commons.  Combine with a host of bias factors
(depth of coverage, the fact that it's much easier to obtain unfree
images than free images, et cetera) means that we're probably looking
at a real fraction of images that's much smaller.

WilyD