[WikiEN-l] Proxies aren't againts the rules, they are just blocked. Was: Wikipaedia is an attack site, too. (was Re: There are no...)

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Fri Sep 28 01:23:43 UTC 2007

> If there existed an open proxy which was an attractive tool for abuse
> we wouldn't block it. No such beast exists yet, but they are possible.
>
> For example, http://www.lunkwill.org/src/nym/Readme proposes a system
> which would allow us to give people tokens whenever they donate over a
> threshold amount to us or perhaps other participating non-profits. The
> token could be used to enable tor editing from a single account.  This
> way creating vandal accounts would cost $25 (or whatever) each.
> Probably a reasonable enough solution, and the pseudoanomity of the
> user is strongly preserved.

Or just sell accounts with ipblock-exempt for $25 in e-gold.

> Now that armedblowfish is rate limited perhaps he'll have some time to
> work on developing the software needed to make one these into
> reasonable options.

The nym software has already been developed and tested.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Lunkwill/nym  The problem isn't
developing the software, it's 1) getting a developer to accept the
patch, and 2) getting someone to turn it on.

The fact that you know about nym makes me surprised you didn't already
know that.