[WikiEN-l] There are no pictures in Wikipedia any more

Wily D wilydoppelganger at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 01:20:50 UTC 2007

On 9/27/07, George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/27/07, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
> > We do not tolerate unfree text to any significant extent. We do
> > tolerate a level of unfree media. Thus we put free media behind other
> > content.
>
> This is simply not true; we have significant (important informational
> content, useful) quotations from other works sprinkled liberally
> throughout the Encyclopedia.
>
> And this is a good thing.
>
> And this is entirely and unquestionably (by any reasonable person)
> legal under fair use.

Indeed, the whole reason fair use (or for example, in my jurisdiction
fair dealing) exists is because governments recognise we cannot do
things like write encyclopaedias or newspapers without invoking the
principle of fair use.

That's probably worth repeating.

We cannot hope to write an encyclopaedia without invoking the
principles of fair use, or fair dealings.  Doesn't mean we need to
invoke it to the maximum extent provided for by law, but without any
at all, we cannot hope to write an encyclopaedia.

WilyD