[WikiEN-l] Free images?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 21:36:07 UTC 2007

On 27/09/2007, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
> On 9/27/07, Nick <heligolandwp at googlemail.com> wrote:

> > I just need a camera that I can change the ISO settings, shutter speed and
> > other stuff on.

> Maybe.  But I found as soon as I learned about that stuff and did get
> a camera that can change ISO settings, shutter speed, and aperture
> (most low-cost digital cameras can do this), within a few weeks I
> realized why that cheap camera was so cheap.  It gets to be an
> expensive hobby pretty quick.

Big time. I keep an ultracompact in my pocket at all times (a Canon
Ixus 50) and it's good for lots of things ... but even an entry-level
SLR has advantages like, ooh, a sensor bigger than a speck, and ISO
above 400 that isn't complete rubbish.

(On the latter subject, I recommend:

    http://www.dpreview.com/articles/compactcamerahighiso/

- the only compact that can do high ISO as of May 2007 that isn't a
lie is the Fuji F30/F31. Now I just need one of those to carry
everywhere.)

> As my obligatory on-topic section to this post, if someone *can*
> manage to create [[Image:Jonquil flowers at f5.jpg]] from
> [[Image:Jonquil flowers at f32.jpg]] using photoshop (or some other
> image manipulation software), the manipulated image and a description
> of how it was made would be a good addition to [[depth of field]].

That would basically require selecting bits of the image according to
where in the field you think they would be, then blurring each a given
amount. This is pretty artistic as image fakery goes.

About the most work I put into an image is framing it properly.
Shallow depth of field is the same - there's no substitute for just
taking the shot that way.

- d.