[WikiEN-l] Asking for free images on living bios

Matthew Brown morven at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 18:47:55 UTC 2007

On 9/27/07, Nick <heligolandwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I'd imagine we'll be pretty safe as long as we don't accept seriously
> substandard photographs of celebrities

I think you're rather off base with regards to defamation.  A shot
doesn't have to be great to not be defaming.  Average quality, or even
below average quality, are fine.  There MIGHT be an issue in certain
jurisdictions if we deliberately used a picture that makes someone
look truly awful or suggests something about the person that is
malicious, but that's a hard bar to clear against editorial content.

People who want to use publicity shots on Wikipedia to replace
free-content fan-provided shots tend to use this kind of argument,
which is inaccurate.

-Matt