[WikiEN-l] Wikipaedia is an attack site, too. (was Re: There are no...)

Brock Weller brock.weller at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 16:55:13 UTC 2007

On 9/27/07, Armed Blowfish <diodontida.armata at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 27/09/2007, Brock Weller <brock.weller at gmail.com> wrote:
> > free-as-in-speech is an expression to seperate that free from
> > free-as-in-free-beer. And chinese people are not censored by wikipedia.
> > They are blocked by their government. Show me where in the blocking
> > policy it lists 'being chinese' as a criterion for a block.
>
> It's called 'No open proxies'.
>
> There are options available to allow Wikipaedia a measure
> of safety from proxy misusers and still let some people edit
> through them.  For example, nym.
> http://www.lunkwill.org/src/nym/

No open proxies states nothing about blocking anyone who's chinese. It means
you aren't allowed to use open proxies.

>> Do you want to write me a program to correct my spelling?
> >> Alternatively, you could add 'Wikipaedia' to your filters.
> >
> > I'd rather you just stop acting like you're eight. I shouldn't have to
> go
> > out of my way to correct something that could be solved by you using
> > correct spelling. It makes you look more petty each time it's brought
> > up and you refuse.
>
> I suppose you would like me to spell everything the American way?
>
> Old folks actually have more difficulty changing their ways than
> young folks.  Supposing I made a concerted effort to spell Wikipaedia
> 'Wikipedia', I would probably forget in less than a week anyway.
>
> Alternatively, you could note that it is spelt Wikipaedia by some:
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/sco/7/71/Wiki-sco.png

There is no 'american' and 'commonwealth' way of spelling it. It's a
*proper* noun. I'm more then willing to help tutor you in the structure of
english, if you wish.

> no, the majority of people who bring this up are massive trolls hoping to
> > stir up people like you against everyone else. Don't fall for the bait,
> man.
>
> Erm, WP is quite capable of stirring me up without the help of
> people who might comfort me if I weren't so upset at them for
> hurting friends of mine....

> >> Hurting people isn't working well.
> >
> > We don't hurt people. Sometimes we have to remove a community member,
> but
> > we don't all go out and lynch random people we dislike. 'Hey look, it's
> Eddie!
> > He looked at me funny last night!'
>
> You don't just ban people.  You (you == WP, not Brock) attack them.
> 'Troll' is one of the most common insults.  Banned user pages show up
> on top of Google searches for many of their names or pseudonyms.

Not our fault. What google does should not and does not factor in to our
mission. If i'm making a soda, I dont go out and make sure that coke is
using corn syrup. I make my soda the way I make it.

>>> we are not about to collapse,
> >>
> >> You already have, or what was that on /. ?
> >
> > Because, you know, the community is in disarray and theres no
> > encyclop(a)edia. Missed that happening over lunch, did I?
>
> WP is failing to take care of its own people.

Not really.

> Who the hell brought slimvirgin into this? See, that's all these people
> > obsess over.
>
> You did, I believe.

Don't remember that. Don't see her name or anything related to her.

> I don't have to show that. 'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary
> > evidence' and all that. You have yet to show anything. You spout nothing
> but
> > hyperbole and nonsense, hoping some sticks, when it's patently false.
>
> Do you not believe I am upset?  Do you want a description
> of the effects of propoxyphene/acetomenophin combo?

you're upset. Doesn't make it a legitimate gripe.

> Seriously. we're sorry you feel running a tor exit node is more
> > important then editing. We are. But *you* made that choice, not us.
>
> I feel protecting myself from a guy who molested me when I was
> a child is more important than editing.  When you are saying it is
> my choice, you are saying it is my fault I got molested.  Please stop.

oh come on. How does this person relate to the policies we set? 'No Personal
Attacks, unless you have a reason to be mean because of your childhood'? You
brought him up, not me, I had nothing to do with him entering the
conversation, and I will not 'stop' because there was nothing out of line
with the comment. I never said it's your fault, and to insinuate otherwise
is intellectually and morally bankrupt. Here's a tip, if you dont want to be
reminded of it, *don't bring it up*. This is another example of you bringing
the list into endless tangents and gripes that have nothing to do with the
purpose of the list.

-Brock