[WikiEN-l] MediaWiki formatting for wide browsers

Magnus Manske magnusmanske at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 27 08:13:11 UTC 2007

On 9/27/07, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>   Just wondering whether anyone has considered the way MediaWiki
> renders when the browser is particularly wide. Many blogs fix a
> maximum column width, because it gets increasingly harder to read as
> the line length increases.
>
> Perhaps MediaWiki could do something like this, and use the extra
> space that would be left to solve its infobox crisis. In fact, many
> layout issues would be completely solved by having a column purely
> dedicated to text, with no possible interference from images, tables,
> contents etc. If the browser is narrow, then it could condense to
> something like its current format.
>
> Any thoughts? Someone want to do a mock-up?

I had a CSS hack somewhere to display wikipedia pages in two columns
on my 23'' widescreen TFT at work. Didn't really work out in terms of
readability, though.

To set the maximum width for the content, put
html { width:1280px; margin-left:auto; margin-right:auto }
in your monobook.css (adapt "1280px" to the width you like)

Magnus