[WikiEN-l] There are no pictures in Wikipedia any more

Sean Barrett sean at epoptic.com
Wed Sep 26 22:07:37 UTC 2007

Monahon, Peter B. wrote:
> I believe that the word "boredom" first entered our vocabulary in the
> mid 1800s - quite recently, culture versus evolution wise.  Apparently,
> before that, people generally found things to do with themselves.  Now,
> we don't have time for anyone who doesn't entertain us!
>
> Good reading at: http://www.answers.com/boredom (1,553 words from
> Wikipedia included!)

Did you bother to read your reference?  "Boredom (languor, neurasthenia)
was one of the dark humors of ancient medicine..." is hard to reconcile
with your belief.  "It became the ailment of the era during the Romantic
period, as typified by Françpois-René de Chateau-briand...."  M.
Chateau-briand died in 1848; one can assume he did his typifying before
his dying.

However, the basic assumption, that I am bored with this thread, is a
good one.  My "Del" key has been used so often it has become a "[ |" key.

--
 Sean Barrett     | And the party on the left are
 sean at epoptic.com | now parting on the right.