[WikiEN-l] Ban notices, Wikipedia, and search engines.

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 19:10:25 UTC 2007

the  relative privacy and freedom from slander is more important. The
level of our discussions on this pages is --perhaps
necessarily--really not fit for widespread public awareness. .  What
sort of a search is it that cannot be performed with the current
internal  facility and would be an essential function?

On 9/26/07, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26/09/2007, Wily D <wilydoppelganger at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > We must block people to keep the site running well... but using our
> > > web presence to attack people is generally unethical, and
> > > inappropriate even when they deserve it.
> >
> > Is there a particular reason why user and user_talk need to be searchable? |
>
> People needing to find things in them, basically. Which is the point
> of search in general :-)
>
> User[-talk] is still project infrastructure space, not WikiFaceBook;
> it's used for useful and contentful communication, notes, drafts,
> lists, all manner of stuff (plus a lot of crap, yeah).
>
> And until we have a much better internal search, people are going to
> keep using external search engines to find that stuff. We'd lose a lot
> of utility if we noindexed it all outright without having a decent
> replacement of our own.
>
> --
> - Andrew Gray
>   andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk