[WikiEN-l] There are no pictures in Wikipedia any more

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 16:40:41 UTC 2007

Surely we are capable of having a version available that filters out
all images that have a fair use tag rather than a GFDL or PD free
tag--not a separate fork, but a separate display, and a similar filter
for a download, if someone wishes to prepare a derivative. with fair
use images.

And  in any case people who want to reuse our content are supposed to
be intelligent about it.  For image copyright, our obligation is to
provide a correct indication of the copyright status of each image,
and sufficient clear information to guide them in using it. It is not
our obligation to prevent them from violating local copyright
regulations, any more than it is our object to prevent hem from
violating local obscenity regulations.

I share the feeling that as much content as possible in the world in
general ought to be "libre" in the full sense of the word. But this
does not mean that we refuse to use other legal content in order to
encourage libre. Rather, we ought to use all legal content in order to
encourage the use of the existing exceptions to exclusive copyright
that fair use provides in the US, so that people in general will
realize the advantages of liberal fair use provisions where they do
not exist as a first step.

It also builds a more complete encyclopedia. At enWP, we are not
trying to accomplish all the goals of the Foundation in general--we
are trying to build an english-language  encyclopedia. Other parts of
the foundation mission are accomplished in other ways.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.