[WikiEN-l] Free images?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Sep 25 19:47:02 UTC 2007

Daniel R. Tobias wrote:
> The alleged grounds is "no permission from artist, label, or manager
> for use, picture was taken at a concert, which may not be used for
> such purposes without proper permission".
>
> The deletion seems to be failing though.
>
> Is this yet another hoop some want to toss up in front of image
> uploaders, that there not only be a free license on the image
> copyright itself, but that proper licenses be obtained from the venue
> at which the picture was taken, and all people depicted in the image,
> and the promoters of whatever event the picture was taken during?

This is well beyond copyright.  I have no problem with Wikipedians
sneaking cameras into concerts to take free pictures.  The people who
are on stage are in a public performance.  Nevertheless, I would
question using pictures of normally anonymous audience members.
> Will it be necessary to include copies of the fine print in a concert
> or other event ticket or program to prove whether photography was
> allowed?
How could we do that without infringing the copyrights of the people who
design and produce the tickets? ;-)

Ec