[WikiEN-l] Realism versus idealism (was Re: There are no pictures in Wikipedia any more)

Armed Blowfish diodontida.armata at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 25 19:20:16 UTC 2007

The Melian Dialogue:
http://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/melian.htm

In the Melian dialogue, the Athenians represent
realism, while the Melians represent idealism.
The Athenians are straight, rather than attempting
to justify their reasons in terms of what is right
and fair, they are honest about their motivations.

'For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with
specious pretences- either of how we have a right
to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or
are now attacking you because of wrong that you
have done us- and make a long speech which
would not be believed'

'We will now proceed to show you that we are come
here in the interest of our empire, and that we shall
say what we are now going to say, for the preservation
of your country; as we would fain exercise that empire
over you without trouble, and see you preserved for
the good of us both.'

All the while, the Melians take the moral high ground.  In
the end, the Melian men are killed and the women and
children are enslaved, and it is as the Athenians said,
'since you know as well as we do that right, as the world
goes, is only in question between equals in power, while
the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they
must.'