[WikiEN-l] There are no pictures in Wikipedia any more

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 17:02:32 UTC 2007

On 9/25/07, John Vandenberg <jayvdb at gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>

cause.  Admins clearing those backlogs on Wikipedia rarely spare the
> time for the easy cases such as logos, PD images that can be detected
> with the human eye and brain and user contributed images that are
> almost certainly intended to be donated to Wikipedia under any
> license, except that the new user has no idea how to do that.

<snip>

Having watched the free image/fair use debate go more than a few rounds, it
seems like one non-controversial way of improving things could be to take a
long hard look at the image uploading process and instruction pages. If any
part of the site is a candidate for having a professional work on the UI,
this seems like a good one. The pages are better than they used to be, but
still *I* get confused and overwhelmed by the current upload pages, and I
know what they're trying to say. Remember that the copyright concepts we're
talking about are poorly understood or completely unfamiliar to most people;
little wonder that folks keep uploading unacceptable images. Maybe at the
least a multipage uploading wizard like the Articles for creation wizard
would be useful, to break up all the "step 1, step 2" pages into something
readable.

-- phoebe