[WikiEN-l] There are no pictures in Wikipedia any more

Pedro Sanchez pdsanchez at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 15:48:23 UTC 2007

On 9/25/07, John Vandenberg <jayvdb at gmail.com> wrote:
> However, the recent practise is to replace AGF with bots because they
> cant assume, judging good in black and white, and dont have time for
> the messy business of intentions.  The balance has shifted without
> consensus due to the efficiency of the bots, and the backlogs they
> cause.  Admins clearing those backlogs on Wikipedia rarely spare the
> time for the easy cases such as logos, PD images that can be detected
> with the human eye and brain and user contributed images that are
> almost certainly intended to be donated to Wikipedia under any
> license, except that the new user has no idea how to do that.>

We always warned people: "hey , don't abuse with fair use!", but they
didnt listen, they kept inserting nonfree media as much as possible,
to decorate every single article, ven if it wasnt' really necessary,
we told "use nonfree media only when you need to", but they didn't
listen, they use it whenever they wanted it, necesary or not, why
bother looking for a free replacement? instant gratification is easier

So, where did that go? Good cases for using nonfreemedia are now the
exception instead of the rule.  Now, instead of just looking for the
few misuses and remove them, we're swamped, and now it's easier to
remove and restore the few exceptions

Good cases are now the exception, so let's treat them like exceptions