[WikiEN-l] WikiEN-l Digest, Vol 50, Issue 169

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Tue Sep 25 13:02:38 UTC 2007

On 24 Sep 2007 at 20:45:31 -0400, "Armed Blowfish"
<diodontida.armata at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Perhaps all users should be prohibited from contributing under or
> revealing their real names on WP, to prevent this sort of thing from
> happening.  Those who have already done so could have their
> usernames changed and their names removed from WP.

That would be a step in the entirely wrong direction.  Wikipedia
makes too much of a fetish out of preserving "anonymity" as it is, at
the expense of accountability.  While I wouldn't want to go as far as
Citizendium in requiring real name use all the time, the opposite
approach you're advocating, of using all fake names, is even worse.

--
== Dan ==