[WikiEN-l] There are no pictures in Wikipedia any more

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Tue Sep 25 11:41:01 UTC 2007

Steve Summit wrote

> What's troubling is that lots and lots of not egregiously
> infringing nonfree images, uploaded and integrated over years of
> time by thousands of participants, and hitherto accepted under
> those hammered-out compromises, seem to have disappeared over
> the past couple of months (due to the efforts of just a few).

Well, of course, we have also had complaints here that WP is very slack on the topic of non-free images.

Let's see, can we get a sense of whether this perceived large-scale takedown affects more than a couple of per cent of the total of the images; and whether this is mostly about well-exposed people, for their bios? Or are there cases (such as book or album covers) where arguably the removal of a fair-use image leaves the article looking scantly.

I have to say _I really don't care that much_ about the bios case. Because the biographies of living people are always causing some or other trouble, and my resolution is to get on with the rest of the encyclopedia. It is far too easy to become sucked in.

Charles