[WikiEN-l] There are no pictures in Wikipedia any more

cohesion cohesion at sleepyhead.org
Mon Sep 24 21:52:56 UTC 2007

On 9/24/07, James Farrar <james.farrar at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I prefer the FREE ENCYCLOPEDIA approach :)
>
> The whole point, just in case the smiley indicates that it went over
> your head, is that we can't actually give equal priority to both; we
> need choose either eliminating non-free content or producing the best
> encyclopaedia we can.

No, I don't use smilies to mean I'm confused. ;)

I am very familiar with your argument, but reject it. We can give
equal priority to both. Things we do should support a "free
encyclopedia". Both. If there is something we are thinking about doing
that fails either of those, for example becoming a free travel website
or becoming a non-free encyclopedia we should reject it. A red ball is
both a ball, and red. There is no choosing.

We don't need to choose between our free-content ideology and creating
the best encyclopedia we can, rather we should create the best free
encyclopedia that we can.

--
Judson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Cohesion