[WikiEN-l] Ban notices, Wikipedia, and search engines.

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 20:10:11 UTC 2007

Thomas, recently you've aggressively rejected suggestions that we make
an effort to keep things like blocked notices out of google.

Part of your argument seems to be that blocked people deserve whatever
humiliation we can dish out. Cases of mistakes have been made, but you
haven't seen to care.

I hope you don't plan to reference your work on Wikipedia in any job
interviews any time soon:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Thomas+Dalton+wikipedia&btnG=Google+Search

Have I finally made a (wp:)POINT that you can understand?

As a Wikipedian in good standing fixing this won't be hard... but the
same problem can be nearly impossible for outsiders to resolve.

Wikipedia isn't judge, jury, and executioner any more than we are a
personal webhost.  We should probably complexity no-index user and
user talk... but if we don't we should at least endeavor to keep
block/ban notices out of the search engines.

We must block people to keep the site running well... but using our
web presence to attack people is generally unethical, and
inappropriate even when they deserve it.