[WikiEN-l] There are no pictures in Wikipedia any more

geni geniice at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 17:14:50 UTC 2007

On 24/09/2007, Steve Summit <scs at eskimo.com> wrote:
> geni wrote:
> > On 24/09/2007, Steve Summit <scs at eskimo.com> wrote:
> >> You know, the number of Wikipedia articles with pictures in them
> >> is really plummeting.
> >
> > No it isn't. Total number of media files on en is currently 758,221.
>
> Thank you for a pedantic, literal answer which misses the point.
> I knew someone would.

It suggests your point isn't well stated.

> >> I just went from [[Talia Shire]] to [[Joey Tribbiani]] to
> >> [[Matt LeBlanc]] and noticed that there were no pictures in any of them.
> >
> > http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Matt_leblanc_1995_emmy_awards.jpg
> > http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Matthew_Perry_by_David_Shankbone.jpg
>
> Splendid!  Thank you.  I will see about using those.

On the other hand we don't have pic of David Schwimmer I'm not
convinced our pic of Lisa Kudrow is free (in fact I'm pretty sure it
isn't) and I had to dig our free pic of Courteney Cox out of the page
history.

> >> I'm afraid I know the answer, but would there be any way of reversing
> >> the various death-to-all-but-the-most-rampantly-free-images trends?
> >
> > Yes. Is there a way that would widely be considered ethical? No.
>
> Define "widely".

However many cultures consider murder to be unethical.

--
geni