[WikiEN-l] There are no pictures in Wikipedia any more

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Mon Sep 24 15:58:50 UTC 2007

Stephen Bain wrote:
> On 9/24/07, Steve Summit <scs at eskimo.com> wrote:
>
>> You know, the number of Wikipedia articles with pictures in them
>> is really plummeting.  I just went from [[Talia Shire]] to [[Joey
>> Tribbiani]] to [[Matt LeBlanc]] and noticed that there were no
>> pictures in any of them.
>>

> I know what you're saying, but really, is it that hard to find a
> picture of Matt LeBlanc? We're not hurting any readers by not having a
> photograph.

That's an intriguing argument. It's not hard to find almost any bit of
information on Wikipedia, so by that reasoning we wouldn't be hurting
anybody by shutting down entirely. All Wikipedia does is make existing
information better available.

What somebody looks like is a pretty important piece of information to a
lot of people.  If you search for Matt LeBlanc on Google, of the top ten
results, all of them display a picture, all but one prominently. One
mentions pictures in the title. And Google even puts his picture on the
search page.

And good thing they do, as I had no idea who "Matt LeBlanc" was until I
saw those pictures.

So I'd say that from a user perspective, leaving the picture out is a
pretty big deal.

William

--
William Pietri <william at scissor.com>