[WikiEN-l] Embeds and links on Wiki pages?

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 16:38:27 UTC 2007

On 20/09/2007, Lottie B <lottie at locatetvblog.com> wrote:

> Hi, I'm looking for some advice about links and embeds. I see there are
> regular IMDB and TV.com links in the TV and film pages. I'm from the team
> developing the new film and TV search site LocateTV, which allows you to
> search for when a programme, film or actor is next on TV, online or on DVD,
> specific to your region. We also have embeds for bloggers to put straight on
> their pages linking readers to the content. I thought this could be a great
> addition to the Wiki pages but I understand there is a very unbranded /
> democratic feel to Wiki. Can anyone advise me if, considering other sites
> are routinely linked to, it would be possible to put these embeds up or just
> links? We don't want to tread on any toes!

The prominent and repeated links to IMDB are a very anomalous
situation - they're there because IMDB has a very high reputation, a
very prominent role in its niche, and astonishing breadth of coverage.
In short, they're ubiquitous because it was *already* very good.

They were selected by our writers, not by any action on the part of
IMDB; there was no central editorial decision to "partner with" IMDB
or to systematically link to them because they asked us.

It is very, very unlikely we'll choose to systematically link to
another external site to that degree across tens of thousands of
articles; it's vanishingly unlikely we'll do it when that site is
newly created and looking for exposure.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk