[WikiEN-l] Do NOT appeal bans, for your own sake (was Re: Admins who do not have email this user enabled (list inside))

Marc Riddell michaeldavid86 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 21 16:07:23 UTC 2007

on 9/21/07 11:33 AM, Wily D at wilydoppelganger at gmail.com wrote:

> This may be a lovely ethical theory, but it won't help us fix the G-D
> problems.  Blaming groups recuses individuals from the perceived need
> to fix the problem.  If someone is doing something they shouldn't,
> tell them to stop.  Just tell them to stop.  Tell them what they
> should be doing instead.  If there's a  problem, fix it.  If you can't
> fix it on your own, ask for help.
>
> Just complaining isn't going to get anything done.  Go find some
> actionable problems and fix them.  If you need help, ask.
>
> Take responsibility for what's going wrong.  If you did something
> wrong, take responsibility for it.  If something is wrong, whether its
> your responsibility or not, take responsibility for fixing it.

Absolutely, yes!

The only way I would vary from your thoughts is this: The only person in
this heap called Wikipedia who can single-handedly "fix" something sits on
the very top of it. The rest of us must gain enough Community support for
such changes to take place. BUT, otherwise, I totally agree with your
sentiments: See a problem? - Deal with it - Actively - Call attention to it
- Relentlessly - One way or another. Otherwise, don't bitch!

And Cheers to you also, WilyD.

Marc Riddell