[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia is being filtered by firewall

Armed Blowfish diodontida.armata at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 21 15:11:07 UTC 2007

Are you trying to edit Wikipaedia or just read it?

If you just want to read Wikipaedia, you could try Tor.
Tor is an anonymising proxy network, and with each
connection you get a series of three nodes.  While
most of these nodes are published, and hence easily
blockable by your school, there are special nodes
called bridges which are not published which you can
use as entry to the Tor network.  So, if your school is
blocking the nodes in the Tor directory, you could
configure Tor to use bridges.

Tor has to be installed, I don't know if that's a
problem.  There are bootable LiveCDs with Tor on
them, though.

Note that you probably won't be able to edit
Wikipaedia via Tor, as Wikipaedia blocks most of Tor
from editing.  Tor is good at evading entry blocks, as
explained above, but makes no attempt to evade
exit blocks.

You can find out more about Tor here:
https://tor.eff.org

This problem is solvable - Wikipaedia could commit
a patch for nym, which would allow you to get a
cryptographic certificate from home, using your real
IP, and then carry that cryptographic certificate to
school and use that to identify yourself to Wikipaedia.
However, Wikipaedia is unlikely to commit the
necessary patch.