[WikiEN-l] BADSITES ArbCom case in progress

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Fri Sep 21 03:01:50 UTC 2007

On 20 Sep 2007 at 13:12:41 -0700, William Pietri
<william at scissor.com> wrote:

> I agree that's a real problem, but I disagree that banning discussion is
> the solution.
>
> For everybody else's problems in the world, Wikipedia believes that the
> best solution is more information, not less. We believe that clear,
> neutrally stated factual information is the antidote to pretty much any
> sort of idiocy. Or at least that censorship won't help.
[snip more good commentary]

I wish this were Slashdot, so I could mod you up for that.

Great comments!  I wish more others would speak out like that.
Unfortunately, it looks like the ArbCom case will wind up with a
mishmash of vaguely defined positions, some of which imply that
deleting commentary is OK if it goes over some line of civility, and
others that say that none of this should imply that it's OK to
suppress legitimate commentary, and there will continue to be never-
ending debate about exactly where the line between the two actually
lies.

--
== Dan ==