[WikiEN-l] JSTOR and free external links

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Thu Sep 20 18:55:30 UTC 2007

David Goodman wrote:
> OCLC will link together different printings, and in many cases even editions.
>
> [...]
> There is no need for WP to figure this all out internally.

To my knowledge, though, the OCLC database itself is proprietary and
available only to subscribing institutions, which somewhat complicates
using it for our purposes, especially if Wikimedia's sites and their
dependencies are to remain free-software/open-content. Is there some
reasonable way around that?

-Mark