[WikiEN-l] BADSITES ArbCom case in progress

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Thu Sep 20 12:09:42 UTC 2007

On 20 Sep 2007 at 12:38:42 +0800, "Mark Ryan" <ultrablue at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 20/09/2007, Steve Summit <scs at eskimo.com> wrote:
> > But this is (a) wrong (at least in the case of www hyperlinks),
> > and (b) not relevant to a site hosted in Florida, USA.
>
> It is relevant. Defamation under UK law happens where the content is
> read, not where it is hosted.

So do we have to follow US law and UK law and Chinese law and Iranian
law and... ?  That seems impractical.  It may even be theoretically
impossible; I read somewhere that Turkish law prohibits mentioning
the Turkish genocide against Armenians, while French law prohibits
denying that this genocide took place (parallel to French law against
Holocaust denial).  It's impossible to comply with both except by not
having any mention of the historical event at all, which would be
absurd for an encyclopedia.

--
== Dan ==