[WikiEN-l] Do NOT appeal bans, for your own sake (was Re: Admins who do not have email this user enabled (list inside))

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Sep 19 18:03:41 UTC 2007

Monahon, Peter B. wrote:
>> Earlier: "... one duty that
>> I would add is preventing
>> blatant "George-is-gay"
>> style vandalism ..."
>>
> I think of vandalism on a list-serve more as someone being promoted to
> moderator and then deleting the archive.  Your example sounds "off
> topic" to me - not about wikien or wikien-l.  In other words, rather
> than considering the content offensive and therefore it must be punished
> or eradicated for that, I consider the content off topic and can simply
> be deleted, the poster moderated, and a note to the group saying so.
>
> Two rules:
>
> [1] No spam - delete it and unsubscribe the poster.
>
> [2] No off topic threads - delete it and moderate the poster if they
> repeat. Allowing only on-topic posts through, with multiple
> co-moderators so someone on moderation has an avenue of appeal.

The spammers and blatant vandals are unlikely to be subscribed in the
first place.  Your definition of "off-topic" seems a little eccentric,
and perhaps too highly inclusive.  We have editors who would complain
that anything that deviates from the strict reading of the subject line
is off-topic. I tend to be more sweeping in what I will consider acceptable.
> PS - Who's George, and who cares about anyone else's sexuality ...
> unless they're looking for a reproduction partner?
For many it is probably an otherwise unidentified school chum.  Some
might even be thinking of President George III. :-)
Repressed teens can be very concerned with sexuality, and many of them
are not particularly skilled in looking for a reproduction partner.

Ec