[WikiEN-l] Do NOT appeal bans, for your own sake (was Re: Admins who do not have email this user enabled (list inside))

Monahon, Peter B. Peter.Monahon at USPTO.GOV
Wed Sep 19 13:32:38 UTC 2007

> Earlier: "... one duty that
> I would add is preventing
> blatant "George-is-gay"
> style vandalism ..."

I think of vandalism on a list-serve more as someone being promoted to
moderator and then deleting the archive.  Your example sounds "off
topic" to me - not about wikien or wikien-l.  In other words, rather
than considering the content offensive and therefore it must be punished
or eradicated for that, I consider the content off topic and can simply
be deleted, the poster moderated, and a note to the group saying so.

Two rules:

[1] No spam - delete it and unsubscribe the poster.

[2] No off topic threads - delete it and moderate the poster if they
repeat. Allowing only on-topic posts through, with multiple
co-moderators so someone on moderation has an avenue of appeal.

Simple, no?

- Peter Blaise

PS - Who's George, and who cares about anyone else's sexuality ...
unless they're looking for a reproduction partner?