[WikiEN-l] Do NOT appeal bans, for your own sake (was Re: Admins who do not have email this user enabled (list inside))

RLS evendell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 20:59:42 UTC 2007

On 9/18/07, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
> I use gmail.  I could possibly set up a filter to automatically delete
> messages from certain people, but I'm not sure if that would work or
> not, it wouldn't delete messages made in reply to those messages from
> certain people, and sometimes those people send messages which are
> actually interesting.  As for hitting the delete key, that actually
> doesn't work in gmail, if you hit delete it deletes the entire thread.
>  And it's fairly useless anyway, because once I've wasted the time
> scanning the email to figure out if it's worth reading I've wasted
> plenty of time already.

It does work.  I have a filter for <certain people> that reads "skip
inbox, delete it".  It just sends those individual messages to the
trash folder without killing the rest of the "conversation" that Gmail
sets up for each thread.  I find that the replies are generally much
more elucidating than the original post, and people usually quote just
enough for me to follow -- and honestly, I can follow the entire
thread without <those people's> posts anyway.

> Gmail does have the nice auto-threading feature though, its filtering
> lets me put mail from all the mailing lists I subscribe to in a single
> folder, and gmail lets me send replies using inbox.org as the from
> address.

The other nice thing is that Gmail hides the excessive quotes if
people don't *snip* them, and colors the relevant quoted text it does
show, so you can easily tell what's being reposted (or rehashed, or
dead-horsed).

--Darkwind