[WikiEN-l] Block appeals--just don't follow the instructions? Huh?

Wily D wilydoppelganger at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 17:11:36 UTC 2007

On 9/16/07, K P <kpbotany at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/16/07, Wily D <wilydoppelganger at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > But that's not what the instructions for unblock say.  They say to
> > > discuss it first with the blocking admin, and IF you do that are
> > > unsuccessful you may then proceed to request a review.  They don't say
> > > use {{unblock|reason}}.  By not enabling email you' ve denied people
> > > you've blocked any access to requesting an unblock.
> > >
> > > I've been blocked once, by an admin who has gone through a couple of
> > > RFCs and an ArbCom.  When I emailed a request to him to be unblocked
> > > he posted nasty comments about my email, lied, to incite me on AN/I.
> > > It was a stunning display of boorish and immature behaviour, though
> > > certainly not unexpected from an admin who called an editor a douche.
> > > If I could have bipassed e-mailing the little twirp, I certainly would
> > > have, but it was clear that I was supposed to request unblock from the
> > > little shit first.
> > >
> > > Now you tell me you can't be bothered to even get e-mails.  If the
> > > policy requires you to email the blocking admin first in order to
> > > appeal the block, then all blocking admins should enable their email.
> > > Or admins should just admit that blocks are not appealable and they
> > > have the power to do whatever they want regardless.
> > >
> > > This is grossly insulting to us worthless little shit peon editors on
> > > Wikipedia whatever the reason.
> > >
> > > It is.
> > >
> > > KP
> > >
> > > The blocking message:
> > > Start by finding out when your block will expire. Go to my
> > > contributions and follow the Block log link at the top of the page. If
> > > there are no blocks listed, or the latest one has already expired,
> > > then you have been autoblocked. Please follow the instructions listed
> > > in the section (on AutoBlocking) below.
> > > If you do not wish to wait for your block to expire, you may contact
> > > the blocking administrator via email to resolve the problem that led
> > > to the block. To use this feature you must have a valid email address
> > > registered in your user preferences. If, after discussing the matter
> > > with them, you still believe your block is unfair, you may appeal the
> > > block by requesting that another administrator review your block. To
> > > do so, add
> > >
> > > {{unblock|your reason here}}
> > > to the bottom of your user talk page (which you can edit while
> > > blocked, unless it is protected) to request unblocking. Please be
> > > aware that abuse of this template will result in protection of that
> > > page.

> > KP
> >
> > If you'll look at the list of admins without emails enabled, you'll
> > see my name isn't on the list.  If you look through my block log,
> > you'll see I've reduced a block in response to an unblock request, and
> > that none of my other blocks have been undone by anyone.
> >
> > Beyond that, I would agree the phrasing should be changed to suggest
> > the "best" practice should be to discuss it with the blocking admin,
> [...]

Err, yes.  The instructions are often terrible and confusing.  If
there's a problem with the instructions, fix them.  Beyond that ..
yes, it's not always easy to find stuff.  And yeah, instructions are
often bad or out of date, trying to follow them doesn't always work.
I was an inexperienced editor once, and didn't always find the help I
looked for.  I learnt, and now I can usually find it.  But how do we
fix that?  We help people that need it.  We fix instructions that need
fixing.

I only meant to say that forcing every admin to turn on email wasn't a
good solution, because it wouldn't work.  The same problem remained.
It's all well and good to be upset that the problem exists, better is
to fix it.  Solutions that don't fix the problem aren't worth
pursuing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=MediaWiki%3ABlockedtext&diff=158298239&oldid=155601130
the blocked message does not say the same thing it did.  Try clearing
your cache.

Cheers,
WilyD